OS Re-design

UI PROJECT

From August to end October I work as a UX design intern for a startup that builds mobile robots for vertical farming. My main role is to work on the development of the operating system for the robots.

Goal

The goal is to finalize the last front-end issues in the operating system, making it ready to deploy to the production environment and to demonstrate to potential customers at conferences and sales calls. I work on this project with the web developer intern. 

Some of the milestones are:

  • Build a backlog of outstanding issues and prioritize these
  • Do internal reviews and testing
  • Get the OS to a state where it is ready to be handed over as a MVP.
  • Remove features and functionalities that are not yet done.

Project Management

We kick off this project by going through the existing list of issues in the OS, and gathering our own impression of the OS. I then map out all the issues in a visual overview, categorize and number them.

I then discuss each issue/design improvement with the team and decide where they fit in our prioritization matrix.

Based on the prioritization matrix, I take each new fix and place them in a release plan.

The remainder of improvements, that are to be done at a later date, are registered and described in the backlog in DevOps. 

Empathizing

During the kick-off meeting, we have already established which kind of people will be using the operative system. I create these user personas to be used further in the project. The user personas will be the same that we are using for the notification project

New UI

The login screen before and after the re-design. With this, we wanted to make the screen more visually appealing and match the system design.

We add a “forgotten password” functionality for a better user experience. The users will not have to contact the company directly if they forget their passwords.

Before:
Main menu: There was some inconsistency in the buttons that did not match the system design.
Calendar: The calendar view and icon did not look sufficiently “clickable” before.
Other: Overall, there were some inconsistensies in spacing, icons that did not scale right, wrong fonts, and colors that did not match the palette.

After:
We re-designed the buttons in the menu, added new hover effects, new calendar tabs, calendar icon and the notification view has gotten a new design (see notification project). We also cleaned up things that should not be there.

Above image is the last frame in the “create routine” flow. The flow for creating routines were overly complicated, and it was not very clear to the user, how to run, schedule or save routines. The main CTA is the “schedule” routine, which the should be choosing most of the time – but in certain cases they might want to save the routine as well, for scheduling at other times.

For this frame, we created a headline of teh action with room and routine type, we made a section for naming and saving the routine with an info button, and we made a section for scheduling the routine in the future. We also added a “Run now” button. 

en_US